FAIRFIELD — Chief Robert Kalamaras and the Fairfield Police Division want to advise residents to correctly safe their automobiles to stop break-ins and keep away from being simple targets for thieves this season.
The summer season season is hottest for car thefts and break-ins, and July is acknowledged by the Nationwide Freeway Site visitors Security Administration (NHTSA) as Nationwide Car Theft Prevention Month. In keeping with the NHTSA, there have been 721,885 motor automobiles stolen within the U.S. in 2019, one each 43.8 seconds. Solely 56.1% of all stolen automobiles have been recovered.
Moreover, the NHTSA warns that car elements and precious objects left in automobiles are additionally targets for thieves. Elements which may be focused embody radios, wheel covers, doorways, engines, transmissions, air baggage and radios, in addition to objects akin to GPS models, cellphones, iPads, laptops and purses.
“As a rule of thumb, residents ought to lock their automotive doorways each time they exit their car,” Chief Kalamaras mentioned. “Residents are additionally suggested to take all valuables with them once they go away their car, as a would-be felony should still try to interrupt in regardless of doorways being locked if a precious merchandise is left in view.”
The NHTSA and Fairfield Police remind car house owners to make use of frequent sense when parking and exiting your car:
- Take your keys. Don’t go away them in your car.
- Shut all home windows and lock all doorways.
- By no means go away your car whereas it’s working.
- By no means go away valuables in your car. Something saved inside your car ought to be out of sight or within the trunk.
- By no means go away bank cards/debit playing cards, money or your pockets or purse inside your car in a single day.
- Park in well-lit areas or ideally inside a storage, if potential. Park in seen areas the place your car just isn’t hidden by foliage or bigger automobiles. Set up lights with movement sensors close to the place you park your car.
- Get within the routine of double-checking that your car is locked and safe every evening round 9 p.m. This is named the 9 p.m. Routine.
In case your car has been stolen or damaged into, comply with these steps:
- Name the police to report a theft or break-in. A replica of the police report and/or a case quantity shall be wanted to offer to your insurance coverage firm.
- It’s possible you’ll be requested to offer the license plate quantity, make, mannequin and coloration of the automotive, the VIN quantity and any figuring out traits.
- Contact your insurance coverage firm to file a declare inside 24 hours of whenever you found your car was stolen or damaged into.
- If you happen to discover your car earlier than authorities, contact the police instantly after which your insurance coverage firm.