Hurricane Elsa primarily spared the state, however heavy rain and excessive water nonetheless make roads harmful.
GEICO has printed an inventory of suggestions for drivers in Florida and different states affected by hurricanes, to assist them with driving in heavy rain whereas remaining protected.
Excessive water and flash flooding can quickly turn out to be a excessive danger for individuals even when of their automobiles.
Driving in heavy rain is usually a daunting expertise. When achieved improperly, it will also be a harmful one. Prepared.gov factors out that it takes as little as 6 inches of shifting water to knock an individual over and as little as 1 foot of shifting water to comb a car away. With excessive water and flash flooding from summer season storms, drivers in states like Florida can profit from an everyday reminder of protected strategies to make use of whereas behind the wheel.
GEICO auto insurance coverage is hoping to assist present that reminder with the record of suggestions it just lately printed because the Atlantic Hurricane Season begins heating up. One of many prime factors coated was merely to keep away from driving by way of puddles with an unknown depth. It’s far safer for a driver to show round and discover a safer path to take than to danger being caught or swept away (personally or inside the car).
GEICO’s record of suggestions for driving in heavy rain included quite a few fundamentals all motorists ought to know.
The next are a few of GEICO’s prime steps for safely navigating roadways when water is an element.
- Don’t drive by way of a puddle by way of which you can not see the painted strains.
- When it’s raining onerous, flip in your headlights to spice up your personal visibility.
- Cut back your velocity to mirror the street circumstances. This can allow you to to have the ability to cease in time and stop hydroplaning.
- If you end up hydroplaning, take your foot off the accelerator, don’t flip the steering wheel or apply the brakes. Your tire can solely acquire traction once more whether it is rotating. Braking will trigger sliding, and it’ll not acquire traction.
- Hold a protected distance away from the car forward of you. Needless to say you will have extra room to cease, so that you’ll drastically cut back the prospect of a collision by leaving room. If somebody is driving carefully behind you, go away much more room forward of you as you’ll want much more room to cease with out the particular person behind you hitting you.
- Keep away from excessive water altogether. Driving by way of excessive water is sort of all the time harmful and might be deadly.
- Test your tires for inflation, put on, and different potential issues earlier than heading out.
- Test your wiper blades earlier than driving in heavy rain.