Beneath we round-up Chase’s key options and the way it compares. The brand new account, which does not include a month-to-month payment, is at the moment solely accessible on an invite-only foundation. When you’ve not had an invitation, you may signal as much as the ready record on Chase’s web site the place you must get an invitation to open the account forward of its anticipated wider launch in early November.
When you do not need to wait til then, our Greatest financial institution accounts information has an in depth breakdown of the present high accounts for cashback, overdrafts and extra, plus varied money incentives of as much as £130 accessible for switching.
Chase’s key options embody 1% cashback for a yr and 5% curiosity
Chase is app-only, which implies you may want a smartphone to open and function it. As well as, whereas you may make purchases in your debit card (it will not have a card quantity printed on it for privateness causes however you may view this at any level within the Chase app) you may’t but arrange direct debits, although JP Morgan plans to allow this by the top of the yr.
Money held in Chase’s present account is protected by the Monetary Companies Compensation Scheme (FSCS) as much as a complete of £85,000. Nevertheless, it is unclear if money saved within the Chase’s linked financial savings account can also be FSCS protected – we have requested Chase and we’ll replace this story after we know extra. Here is a round-up of Chase’s key options:
- It pays 1% cashback on most purchases for 12 months. You’ll be able to switch cashback from the ‘Rewards’ part of the Chase app to your important account stability everytime you like. The 12 months begins from the date you activate cashback within the app, so be sure to do that to start out incomes. Sure purchases aren’t eligible for cashback, comparable to playing, however you may see a full record of exclusions on the Chase web site.
- It pays 5% AER variable curiosity on ’rounded-up’ financial savings. When you decide in for this perk, Chase will robotically spherical up each buy you make as much as the closest pound and save the distinction. For instance, should you spend £9.55 at a grocery store, Chase will spherical this as much as £10, and save 45p in a separate account. It’s going to pay 5% AER variable curiosity on these quantities. This beats the present Prime financial savings charges, although it is solely on quantities you’ve got saved by means of the round-up characteristic, which implies you may’t high it up with additional money.
Curiosity is calculated day by day and paid month-to-month into the financial savings account, and after a yr the complete stability is transferred over to your important stability, although you may withdraw funds penalty-free earlier than this. There isn’t any time restrict on this characteristic, so you may preserve saving after the primary yr – although as the speed is variable, the quantity of curiosity you get may change in future.
- It gives fee-free debit card use overseas. You will not be charged any charges for making purchases or money withdrawals outdoors the UK. Whereas this is not distinctive for a challenger financial institution – opponents, comparable to Monzo and Starling, provide this too – it is a good characteristic to have should you’re planning to journey abroad. For extra on the perfect debit playing cards to make use of on vacation, try our Journey playing cards information.
- It provides you the flexibility to separate your present account money into totally different ‘jars’. These jars have their very own separate present account quantity, and you should utilize your debit card to spend from the account of your alternative by choosing which account to make use of by way of the app whenever you make funds. The concept is to assist folks with budgeting and saving.
Chase would not at the moment have an overdraft facility, but it surely’s informed us it is trying to provide lending merchandise in a while.
How Chase compares
Chase’s cashback and round-up financial savings options are nifty, however you could do your analysis and examine if it is the perfect account for you primarily based in your wants. Crucially, Chase would not include any switching incentives, so should you’re after chilly, arduous money there could also be higher alternate options on the market. For instance:
- You’ll be able to nab £130 switching an current present account to Santander. Santander at the moment pays each new and current prospects £130 to change to its 123 Lite account, which gives 1% to three% cashback on family payments. Whereas the account costs a £2/mth payment, the switching money negates this, and people with mid-to-large payments could make round £40 to £80/yr after the payment. After all, there is no motive why you could not change to Santander but additionally open a Chase account and use Santander Lite to pay for any payments that qualify for cashback and Chase for all different purchases as a way to maximise cashback.
- You may get £100 switching to Nationwide – and a few can get a 0% overdraft too. Nationwide gives switchers to a spread of its accounts £100 – the standout is the fee-free Nationwide FlexDirect, which gives a yr’s 0% overdraft as much as £2,750 relying in your creditworthiness. Plus, you may earn 2% curiosity on as much as £1,500 within the first yr.
- Different switching gives embody £110 money and a £30 Uber Eats voucher. For full info, see our Greatest financial institution accounts information.
In terms of cashback, Chase is a stable choose although. An alternate possibility contains:
- American Specific’ Platinum Cashback On a regular basis bank card, which pays a better 5% cashback however solely on purchases for the primary three months as much as a most of £100 price of cashback. You will additionally must spend no less than £3,000 in a yr to earn any cashback, and after the primary three months the speed drops to 0.5% until you spend over £10,000 in a yr – solely then does it match the 1% Chase pays. Amex playing cards additionally aren’t accepted all over the place, and should you’ve had one previously two years you will not be eligible for the 5% introductory bonus.
When you’re planning a giant buy and you realize you may hit the £3,000 set off, Amex could be the best choice – although it might be price utilizing Chase after the primary three months as until you may spend £10,000/yr you may earn a better fee of cashback, even when it is just for a yr. For extra bank card rewards, together with £264 in bonus Nectar factors and a £30 Amazon voucher, see our full Bank card rewards information.